Fear of the Unknown - Why I Decided to Search for my Birth Mother.


To those who were raised with their genetic family, it may seem that searching for your birth mother would be an obvious choice.  For me at least, it was not.

Before I start, I should note, that my parents and I share the same race, so it was not apparent to anyone that my genetic heritage may be different from the rest of my family.

Growing up, I was the only child I knew that was adopted.  It wasn’t until high school that I met another adoptee.  As early as elementary school, friends would ask if I wanted to find my birth mother or question “How can you not know where you are from?”. People will say things like this all the time to adoptees (I will get more into this in a future post). It’s bizarre and scary for them to think that you don’t have information that they have effortlessly available to them. At this young age, it was impossible for me to even begin to understand the depth of this process and what finding my birth mother would mean for my life.  However, not knowing was my standard quo and I was content with that.  My parents had strong proud roots and connections to their heritage, as far as we were concerned it was my heritage as well. As I mentioned previously, my parents and I didn’t talk about adoption very much together; they never wanted me to feel like their adopted child, I was their child and what was theirs, was ours.

It was fascinating to me that friends found this circumstance to be so interesting.  Together we hatched many plans about setting up a meeting with my birth mother while they watched from a distance.  We had no way to carry this out, nor did I really want to. We were just kids, it was a fun spy like fantasy.

All children use pretend play to learn, work through emotions and understand their world.  This was very true for me and working through what it meant to be adopted.  I would fantasize about who my birth mother might be, perhaps I was a secret princess or a celebrity’s daughter.  I wondered if I had been born a twin and at some point would run into someone who looked exactly like me. Life was great, and my mind was wrapped in a fairy-tale. It didn’t occur to me until I was much older that I may have been placed for adoption because of a negative circumstance. 

In my pre-teens I started to experience a few medical issues that doctors could not find a reason for. As they had no family history to draw from, it started to hit me that I was in fact different from the rest of my family. Many years later, while completing my post-secondary education, I studied child development and inherited traits.  My classmates all effortlessly commented on where their features had been inherited from; parents, grandparents, sibling similarities, etc. This was the first time I felt like I didn’t know that much about myself.  Although I was a confident, successful and driven young adult, I felt slightly lost. Who was I?  Why did I have the features that I had? How much of my personality was because of genetics and how much was from my environment? (The classic question).  For the first time in my life, I felt the need to search for my birth mother, if nothing else to learn more about myself and for any children I would have in the future.  As much as my parents had provided me with everything I needed and wanted, they couldn’t answer these questions for me.

So, the decision had been made but what did that mean.  It meant the fantasies that I had as a child could be shattered, it meant that I might find out some “not so nice” things of how I came into this world and why I was placed for adoption.  It meant I might be rejected completely. Looking back now, I really had no idea how this decision would change my life, but how could I have known?

Although my curiosity had been peaked, there were some potential scenarios I needed think about before I started this search.  How would I feel if I was rejected, or if nothing came of it at all? What if my birthmother was someone who I wouldn’t want in my life? Who was I opening the door to?  What did I need from her? What did it mean about me? I was nervous.

My life was very full.  I was a full-time student, doing very well in school. I had a wonderful family that supported me no matter what.  I had a vast group of friends and life had always been happy and fulfilled.  What else was I looking for? The answer was nothing.  If nothing at all had come of my search, life would have continued on its path without much disruption. I didn’t NEED anything from my birthmother, but I was curious about her and didn’t want to forever wonder “What if”. I was open to see what possibilities may be.

Each person has a different experience and different feelings about being adopted.  The decision to search or not is very personal, intimate and can certainly be terrifying.  I was very fortunate to be free from a sense of loss until I was a young adult.  I have never felt anger towards my birth mother for making the choices she did, but I also didn’t feel like part of me was missing or was longing for that connection with her.  My decision to search was initially to find out more about myself, who I looked like, what was her medical history and what was my genetic heritage.

 I never could have imagined how much she would add to my life.  I may not have felt that I needed anything then, but now I can’t imagine my life without that giant piece. She is part me, where I'm from and part of the picture that makes me who I am.

In future posts, I will go into detail about the steps of our communication and reunion, it demonstrates what a small and wonderful world it is. If you follow me through my experience, it is not all happiness and sunshine.  However, my heart is full of gratitude for what I have gained in my life. I have also had to make some tough decisions to leave some stones unturned. 

I welcome your questions and comments.  If you are considering starting a search but are afraid of what you might find, I completely understand. I hope you will find this helpful

I can be reached by posting here or  PerfectlyChosenFamily@gmail.com

                                                                                                Sincerely,
PCF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Beautiful Day

Hallmark Doesn't Make a Card for this Kind of Mother's Day

Am I “Chosen” or Rejected?